About the Competition
Entry Deadline: April 1
Competition Date: Saturday, May 27, 2023 in Foam Lake, SK
The Jean McCulloch Memorial Junior Piano Competition recognizes the hard work and talent of Saskatchewan piano students working in levels three through eight. This competition is a stepping-stone for students to compete at the SRMTA senior level.
Jean McCulloch was born in Rosetown, SK. Music played a major role in Jean’s life. She taught piano and violin for many years and played violin with the Regina Symphony Orchestra.
The Jean McCulloch Memorial Junior Piano Competition was established in 2010 and has awarded over $7,000 to many developing artists.
Thank you to our Sponsors!
The Jean McCulloch Memorial Piano Competition is made possible through the generous donation of our sponsors & the Jean McCulloch Memorial Fund.
- Level 7-8 Award: Long & McQuade
- Level 5-6 Award: “Friends of Helen Davidson”
- Level 3-4 Award: Kathy and Garry Gable
Rules & Regulations
- Failure to comply with any regulation may result in disqualification.
- The student must currently study with an SRMTA member in good standing.
- The competitor’s program needs to be of the same grade level, i.e. either level 3 OR 4, but not both.
- First-place winners are not allowed to compete in the same level two years in a row; for example, the winner of Level 3 is still eligible to compete at Level 4 in the following year; the winner of Level 5 is still eligible to compete at Level 6 in the following year, etc.
- Repertoire does not have to be from a currently recognized conservatory syllabus but needs to be equivalent to the level in which the student is competing. Adjudicator’s discretion.
- No changes to repertoire after April 1.
- Any changes to the program order must be announced on the day of the competition.
- Consideration will be given to a balanced program.
- Time limits indicated below are for the total performance and therefore include the time between selections.
- Competitors must perform from memory.
- Competitors must bring original copies of music for the adjudicator. Photocopied music will NOT be accepted.
- Competitors are responsible for their own expenses.
- The adjudicator’s decision is final.
- Level 3-4 (RCM or equivalent): 12 minutes
- Level 5-6 (RCM or equivalent): 16 minutes
- Level 7-8 (RCM or equivalent): 20 minutes
Time limits include all music from start to finish AND breaks in between selections. Round all timings to the nearest minute when calculating the timing.
- 2022 Rosetown, SK
Level 3/4 Korina Medancic, Biggar
Level 5/6 Kensie Cowan, D’Arcy
Level 7/8 Wendy Zhou, Saskatoon
- 2021 Virtual Competition; North Battleford
Grade 3/4 Kensie Cowan
Grade 5/6 Yihan Sun
Grade 7/8 Hana Lopez
- 2020 Cancelled
- 2019 Humboldt
Grade 3/4 Ayumi Sinclair, Fort Qu’Appelle
Grade 5/6 Hana Kawasora Lopez, Regina
Grade 7/8 Lindsay Van de Weyer, Weyburn
- 2018 Regina
Grade 3/4 Sarah Liu, Regina
Grade 5/6 Juliana Ubongen, Yorkton
Grade 7/8 Joshua An, Fort Qu’Appelle
- 2017 Yorkton
Grade 3/4 Mason Hart, Regina
Grade 5/6 Lindsay Van de Weyer, Weyburn
Grade 7/8 Kevin Trinh, Regina
- 2016 Weyburn
Grade 3/4 Yodit Frederick, Milestone
Grade 5/6 Bridget Alexander, Weyburn
Grade 7/8 Ross van de Weyer, Weyburn
- 2015 Rosthern
Grade 3/4 Bridget Alexander, Weyburn
Grade 5/6 Ross van de Weyer, Weyburn
Grade 7/8 Anna Klein, Waldheim
- 2014 Yorkton
Grade 3/4 Kevin Trinh, Regina
Grade 5/6 Isaac Der, Regina
Grade 7/8 Chelte Young, Yorkton
- 2013 Biggar
Grade 3/4 Isaac Der, Regina
Grade 5/6 Rene Czemeres, Cupar
Grade 7/8 Suyenna Huang, Regina
- 2012 Unity
Grade 3/4 Susannah Ulrich, Scott
Grade 5/6 Adrianna Dolata, Regina
Grade 7/8 Bailey Parr-Kennedy, Moose Jaw
- 2011 Humboldt
Grade 3/4 Adrianna Dolata, Regina
Grade 5/6 Alexis Valgardsson, Moose Jaw
Grade 7/8 Katherine Ulrich. Scott
- 2010 Regina
Grade 3/4 Mary Sidloski, Weyburn
Grade 5/6 Bailey Parr-Kennedy, Moose Jaw
Grade 7/8 Kean-Martin D. Seno, Regina