About the Competition
Entry Deadline: January 31
The Lyell Gustin Memorial Piano Competition is held in Saskatoon in conjunction with the Florence Bowes Memorial Competition (in odd-numbered years) and the Gordon C. Wallis Memorial Competition.
Rules & Regulations
- Failure to comply with regulations may result in disqualification.
- The student must be a regular student of an SRMTA member in good standing.
- The competition is open to students up to and including 18 years of age.
- Time limits indicated below are for the total performance and should therefore include the time between selections.
- Competitors must perform from memory.
- Competitors must bring original copies of music for the adjudicator. Photocopied music will not be accepted.
- Competitors are responsible for their expenses.
- The adjudicator’s decision is final. A high level of performance is essential, otherwise, no award will be given.
- THE DEADLINE FOR PROGRAM SUBMISSION IS MAY 10. NO CHANGES ARE ALLOWED AFTER THIS DATE.
- Any changes to the program order must be announced on the day of the competition.
- The Gustin/Trounce Heritage Committee Scholarship may be won only once.
- If entering the Wallis or Bowes Competitions as well, then an entirely different program must be presented.
- The minimum level of difficulty must be equivalent to Grade 10.
- The program length must be no less than 20 minutes and no more than 30 minutes.
- No concerto movements are allowed.
- Sonata movements must be consecutive.
Choose one of the following three formats available for your program:
- A minimum of three musical eras to be represented, choosing from Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionistic, 20/21st Century.
- A complete sonata. If the sonata does not take the full 20 minutes, then other materials must be added to complete the time requirement.
- All pieces from ONE of the musical eras as listed above.
Lyell Gustin Memorial Piano Scholarship Entry Form
"*" indicates required fields
- 2021 Esther Zhu (1st)
Grace Liu (2nd)
Chenkun Zheng (3rd)
- 2020 Jerry Hu (1st)
Chenkun (Steve) Zhang (2nd)
Daniel Yu (3rd)
- 2019 Xiaotong Want (1st)
Jerry Hu (2nd)
Bronte Rawlings (3rd)
- 2018 Solveig Deason (1st)
Jerry Hu (2nd)
Emily Wang (3rd)
- 2017 Eleanor Chen (1st)
Ameer Abusada (2nd)
Presley Reddekopp (3rd)
- 2016 Jasmine Zhang (1st)
Presley Reddekopp (2nd)
Vivian Mark (3rd)
- 2015 Godwin Friesen (1st)
Paul Zhu (2nd)
Thomas Hu (3rd)
- 2014 Susan Winmill (1st)
Kristian Wenaus (2nd)
Thomas Hu (3rd)
- 2013 Margaret Ong (1st)
Trista Gargol (2nd)
Shaelynne Sawatsky (3rd)
- 2012 Chris Waddell (1st)
Shaelynne Sawatsky (2nd)
Sophie McBean (3rd)
- 2011 Marie Ong (1st)
Scott Adams (2nd)
Cora Xiao (3rd)
- 2010 Melissa Liu (1st)
Eric Bews (2nd)
Anita Lazurko (3rd)
- 2009 Walter Jeworski, Regina (1st)
- 2008 Jaclyn Goetz, Warman (1st)
- 2007 Kyle Wenaus, Regina
- 2006 Meagan Milatz, Weyburn
- 2005 Sam Deason, Saskatoon
- 2004 Alex Dyck, Regina
- 2003 James Coghlin, Coronach
- 2002 Katherine Dowling, Regina
- 2001 Tenley Bower, Swift Current
- 2000 Jonathan Lee, Saskatoon
- 1999 Erin Fracchia, Saskatoon
- 1998 Augustine Gonzales, Saskatoon
- 1997 Imtiaz Ashraf, Saskatoon
- 1996 Stephen Runge, Regina
- 1995 Casey Churko, Moose Jaw
- 1994 Maureen Sherman, Saskatoon
- 1993 Carmen Falconer, Prince Albert
- 1992 Azure Dee English, Saskatoon
- 1991 Cara Reimer, Saskatoon
Jon Guzik, Sonningdale
- 1990 Sharon Chan, Prince Albert
- 1989 Sarah Konecsni, Dysart